The history of the Secondary Forestry School in Hranice dates from the year 1852 when the first United Forestry School was founded in the castle of Úsov (nowadays a famous forestry and hunting museum) in the historical lands and woods of Úsov which the Earl of Lichtenstein offered for practical education.

In 1867 the Forestry School was moved to the castle of Sovinec where students could be residentially accomodated.

This ancient castle soon became inconvenient for the purposes of education and it was decided to move the school again.

There were three alternatives - Šternberk, Šumperk and Hranice. The town of Hranice was chosen. The main reasons were  the location of Hranice near a main railway station, the surrounding forests, and good accomodation for students and teachers provided by the Town Council of Hranice.

The town offered 3 hectares of land to found a school arboretum. Two years after making the decision, the school was ready to open a new school building in October 1896 and start two forms of studies – Higher Forestry Academy and Lower Forestry School.

Since those days the school has passed through many changes under good and bad times and conditions.

In 1993 a new school building was built next to the old one which permits 3 classes in a single grade in one school year. The school owns many laboratories, classrooms, staff rooms, large library and excellent equipment for special training and computer education.

Beside common educational subjects (Czech language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, History, Civil Training) English and German are available. Main special subjects are Forestry Planting, Forestry Protection, Hunting, Economy and Accounting. Additional subjects are Typewriting, Computer Training, Geodesy, Forest Buildings, Motor Vehicles, Forest Botanics, Forest Zoology, Forestry Surrounding, Engines and Equipment.

Studies are finished by school - leaving examination. The majority of students continue to study at University, the rest find their jobs in technical management in forestry companies ( Forest of the Czech Republic, Army forests and farms, share companies, private forests, company of Lesoprojekt etc.)

Beside the current school timetable, the school supports obligatory education and training in many clubs.

The knowledge and theoretical information obtained at school can be practised by students in school forests in Valšovice situated about 7 kms away. These were founded in 1921 with an area of 1 000 hectares , and are considered to be the oldest school forests in the Czech Republic. The school forest provides not only forest plants but allows students practical training in the subjects of felling and engineering.